Christmas Music

It’s now the end of the second week of Advent, and I am in full “Christmas Music” mode. I have quite a few Christmas CD’s that I now carry with me in the car. I just love to sing along to the tunes on my way here and there. Yes, I am one of those weirdo’s who you see singing away at the stoplight.

Fortunately for everyone, the windows are closed in the cold weather, so no one has to suffer.

I also have music loaded onto my desktop computer. Our Christmas tree is in the same room as the computer, so I can sit by the tree and listen to the quiet music of the season. I thought I’d share with you some of my favorites.








James Taylor could sing the phone book and I’d hang on every word. But I just love this Christmas collection. It came out almost ten years ago, but I never get tired of it. “Go Tell It On the Mountain” was my mother’s favorite Christmas song, and he sings it so beautifully. When we sing this song in church, it’s sung loud and raucously. Mr. Taylor sings it so quietly; it becomes very reflective.






Here’s another phone book singer I would love. Amy Grant has multiple Christmas CD’s, and I have several of them. I chose ‘Home For Christmas’ as a favorite because it includes the song “Breath of Heaven.” Have you ever heard that one?

The song was co-written by Amy Grant, and describes the feelings of a young Mary, now pregnant with the Son of God. Every time I hear it, I get a little teary. It’s a beautiful study on a young, confused new mother.

I love it too because of my daughter. She learned the sign language to this song as a part of a Christmas concert in college. When she came home for the holiday, she signed it while the choir sang at Midnight Mass that year. That image of her up in the sanctuary signing away to this touching song makes me tear up too.





Well, what recommendation would be complete without including Handel’s Messiah? I have several CD’s of this too; there seem to be a lot of orchestras who record the music. I really enjoy all of the songs, all based on Scripture describing the coming of Christ.

Of course, I love the Hallelujah Chorus. I sang it years ago with my high school choir. I can still remember some of the second soprano parts, so I’m known to break into song while decorating the tree. No windows in the middle of our family room though.

My husband is a saint.


Your turn. What are you listening to this time of year?