SHOUTS and Whispers


Scene One

Driving down the highway at 70 mph, I see the brake lights on the car ahead of me. For a few anxious seconds, I don’t think I can stop in time. Finally jerking to a complete stop, I look up to see an ocean of red brake lights ahead of me.

MY MIND SHOUTS: START HONKING YOUR HORN! BLAME EVERYONE FOR YOUR NEAR-DEATH EXPERIENCE!

My soul whispers: Give thanks for your deliverance from a collision. Pray for the ones three miles up the road who didn’t get that gift of safety.


Scene Two

I don’t know why, but at 12:30 am, I'm awake. Knowing my child is out on a date and should have been home at midnight, I wonder if I missed the required “Wake me when you get home” shoulder shove.

Getting up, I make my way to the next room. Empty bed. After waiting twenty nervous minutes in the living room, my wayward child comes through the door.

MY MIND SHOUTS: WHY ARE YOU LATE? WHY DID YOU MAKE ME WORRY LIKE THIS? HOW COULD YOU BE SO IRRESPONSIBLE?

My soul whispers: Your child stopped to help a friend who was drinking get home safely. Wait calmly to hear this miraculous story of love of neighbor.


Scene Three

I promised myself that I will get up early and complete twenty minutes on the exercise bike. Early morning is best. That way I won’t forget, or run out of time during the day.

The alarm goes off. It’s so cold! I’m surprised by how the chilly the air is in my room. With the shades drawn tight, the room is pitch dark.

MY MIND YELLS: STAY IN BED! GET SOME EXTRA REST, YOU WERE UP LATE LAST NIGHT. IT’S TOO COLD TO GET UP THIS EARLY! ONE SKIPPED DAY WON’T HURT ANYTHING!

My soul whispers: Trials come and trials go. Meet the dark and chill with the resolve that I give you. Come and play with me. You will be blessed.

The Path of Peace

Have you ever noticed how mouthy that inner voice is? Kicking out opinions like a bubble blower, its volume seems to increase with each passing minute. And so reactive! And what are the goals of this bellowing voice?


“How can I make sure everyone knows my opinion?”

“I’m always right.”

“The loudest one wins.”


It’s so easy for me to default to the loudest voice.

Striving to both be at peace, and be a peacemaker, is not an easy process. The road is winding, the gate is narrow. Abandoning that first, knee-jerk reaction, takes a stubborn willingness to take a breath and find the truth behind what I see. 

So the next time my inner self ‘goes off’ at some slight, I’ve got to challenge myself. Go deeper, rejecting the loud, insistent foghorn of anger, fear and resentment. I am called to be so much better than that.

I am called to peace, called to forgiveness, called to thanksgiving.



Linking today with: Essential Fridays, Friday Five, Sunday Share
Blogs by Christian Women









Labels: , , ,