Mercy

FIVE MINUTE FRIDAY

So now on Fridays a group of people who love to throw caution to the wind and just write without worrying if it’s just right gather to share what five minutes buys them. While the kids are changing into their swimming suits, while the popcorn is popping, while the dog is outside doing his business, while the show cuts to commercial. Just five minutes.

Today, the prompt is: Mercy




So, Peter wants to know how many times he should forgive someone. “Is it seven times, Lord?” And Jesus responds, No Peter. Seventy times seven.

Jesus is trying to teach Peter, and me, about mercy.

Peter is exploring the limits of mercy. How much? How many times? But Jesus wants to blow open the closed door that is ‘limits’, and reveal an ocean of forgiveness, of peacemaking, of healing…of mercy.

‘Seventy times seven’ means ‘to infinity and beyond.’ Or, like that AT&T commercial says, ‘Infinity times infinity.’ There is no end to the mercy of the Father.

Did you hurt me…again? Did I hurt you for the bazillionth time? We have a choice. We can put limits on forgiveness, or mirror the limitless quality of mercy found in the Father.

I feel a bit claustrophobic with the limits. I’d rather be boundless in mercy as he as merciful. To put that into practice means that there is healing, forgiveness and restoration.

I want to be that instrument of reconciliation and peace. So come with me, Spirit of God, and help me soar on the wings of mercy. To infinity and beyond.

Linking today with: Five Minute Friday, Essential Fridays