The Arc of the Diver

I belong to a gym. It's not fancy, it's basically a converted storefront tucked into a strip mall. But the equipment I need for a workout is all there, and I am reasonably dedicated. I try to make sure I get my $9.95/month's worth of sweat.

So here I am in the little exercise room, just crushing it with my five-pound weights. I am very proud of myself, so right away it's obvious I am not in touch with reality. As I turn to leave the room, my foot catches the rope snaking through all the weights on the multi-tired shelves. (Apparently there is a ring of kettle bell thieves running amok in my town.) Oopsie.

Have you ever watched those old Hollywood movies with the synchronized swimmers? Picture a camera shot on a spangled suited and bathing capped swimmer. She has an enormous grin on her face, arms up over her head in a prayer position. Then, out of nowhere, she leans sideways and falls into the pool, revealing the next in line who falls in, repeat, repeat. You get the idea.

All the weights fell off the shelves just like that.

I was rooted to the floor. I couldn't believe what was happening. There were even witnesses to my floor show of shame. I knew I was destined for: "You'll never guess what happened at the gym today" stardom.

What were you trying to teach me Lord? This incident was so random, so funny
(in retrospect)...impossible to ignore. Well, it didn't take long to get an answer.

Some background. I have some goals for my life right now:


There they are, all strung together. You know what? If I don't focus my efforts to address each goal every day, there's trouble. Just like the weights, if one falls, they all go. That's just how I am built.

We must pay the most careful attention, therefore, to what we have heard, so that we do not drift away.  Hebrews 2:1

Pay closer attention to my goals. Ok, got it. My goal list is my purpose now. I need to do what I can to achieve it, and avoid what tears it down to nothing.

It's just too easy to make excuses. I slip up on in my diet, so why exercise? I am so tired from eating the wrong things; I make up reasons not to write. Familiar territory for me.

Help me today Lord to accomplish my goals. You have inspired me to name them, so please give the grace to be more faithful. Then I'll really be living.

Oh...and thanks for keeping my toes away from those killer kettle bells.